The sign said “Under Construction.” I recently passed by an old house…and it was clearly “under construction.”
There were a number of construction trucks and workers surrounding this home. Because my 6 year old son is in love with construction trucks, we stopped and parked alongside the curb and watched for a few moments.
This particular construction site was different than other construction sites we have visited…which usually had a new structure built from ground up on a piece of barren land. This house was evidently being “renovated”…And so in other words, it was being “made new.”
As I watched this house being “made new” …I quickly noticed 2 things that seemed to slow down this “under construction’ process.
First of all…before new walls could be erected, the old walls needed to be torn down. And secondly… as I focused more closely…I also noticed that electricians were hard at work de-tangling and removing old electrical wires before further construction could resume.
Watching this house “under construction”, I began to think about how we as Christians are “under construction’ as well…we are spiritually “under construction”…throughout our entire lives really…aren’t we?
The Bible says that even though we are made “perfect” in Christ…we are not yet “finished.”
Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. Colossians 1:28 KJV
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. Philippians 1:6 NLT
FYI…being made “perfect” in Christ means we are made complete…mature. Not the commonly used meaning for “perfect” as pure…flawless. Because really only Christ is and can be “perfect” according to the latter definition. (A difficult concept to accept if you tend to be a perfectionist like me!)
So it’s the beginning of another New Year! …And that means new beginnings…new goals…new outlooks…new hope…new commitments…and how can we forget…new resolutions!
It’s a New Year…and God wants to do a New Thing in our life!
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 42:19 NIV
God wants to do a new thing in our life…but just as this house had a few things that slowed down the “under construction” process…so too it may be as we are spiritually “under construction” as well.
Just like the old walls needed to be torn down in order to build new walls… we too need to tear down…bring down…let go of our past which can enslave us and keep us from moving forward into the new things God has for us.
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. Isaiah 42:18 NIV
Just like the old wires needed to be de-tangled and removed…we too need to remove the sin that can entangle us and slow us down from obtaining and accomplishing the new things God has for us.
Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…Hebrews 12:1 NIV
Check this out! It certainly isn’t coincidental that the scripture Isaiah 42:18 about forgetting the former things and not dwelling on the past precedes verse 19 when God says that he is doing a new thing!
God wants to do a new thing in our life…but we have a few things to self-examine and do first!
To gain a better perspective of these 2 concepts…check out their definitions.
Enslavement- the state of being strongly influenced and controlled by something; the condition of being under the domination of another person or some habit or influence
Entanglement-the condition of being lured into a compromising act; the state of being ensnared; entrapment
Enslavement and entanglement can slow us down…even hinder us…from seeing God do a new thing in our life.
Have you ever tried to run forward while looking back the entire time? I guarantee that looking back will hinder you from moving forward!
Have you ever tried to run forward while being tangled and twisted up in something? I guarantee that being tangled up in something will slow you down!
Whether we are enslaved to our past….past failures…past mistakes…past hurts…past regrets…old ways…old thoughts…
Whether we are entangled in sin…blatant obvious sins (lying, anger, pride, sexual impurity, etc.)…subtle sins (gossip, unforgiveness, bad attitudes, harsh verbal tone, negative critical thoughts, etc.)…
We have a choice!
A choice to let go…or be enslaved to our past.
A choice to obey…or be entangled by sin.
Are there any areas of enslavement in your life you need to let go of?
Are there any areas of entanglement in your life you need to remove?
Just as the old house is “under construction” and being made new…we are spiritually “under construction” everyday…And by the choices we make …the spiritual construction process can be hindered or can move along more smoothly.
It’s a New Year…and God wants to do a New Thing in your life!
And so whether your New Year’s resolutions include these concepts or not, we have a choice to let go…or not…a choice to obey God…or not. Either way, being spiritually “under construction” cannot be avoided.
We are “under construction” our entire lives as God shapes us…molds us…refines us…and makes us complete. We are “under construction” so that we can look more and more like Christ!
So as we enter the New Year…let’s examine our life as Christians and see what we can do differently or change…let’s purposefully make those changes and remove anything that slows down or hinders our relationship with God…and let’s watch God do a new thing in our life!
I wish you all Happy New Year! I appreciate you all supporting Sweeter Than Honey Blog and look forward to an amazing 2015!
- Can you see how we are spiritually “under construction” …our entire lives?
- Do you understand that even though we are spiritually “under construction” that God wants to do a new thing in our life? Isaiah 42:19
- Do you understand what being enslaved to your past and being entangled by sin means? And how these 2 things can slow down and hinder you from obtaining and accomplishing the new things that God wants to do in your life?
- Are there any areas of enslavement in your life you need to let go of? Are there any areas of entanglement in your life you need to remove?
- What can you do differently or change in your life so that you will not be slowed down or hindered?
- We are spiritually “under construction” and will be our entire life because we were created in the image of God and God wants to shape us…mold us…refine us…and makes us complete…so we look more like Him! That’s a good thing!
- God wants to do a new thing in your life. Pray and ask God to show you any areas of enslavement or entanglement in your life. Psalm 139:23-24
- If you recognize anything you need to let go of in your past…pray and ask God to give you the courage and strength to move forward.
- If you recognize any sin that needs to stop and be removed…pray and ask for God’s forgiveness and strength to please Him and be obedient to God’s Word.
- Seek out help from other Christian women who can pray with you…support you…and offer encouragement! We weren’t created to live our Christian life alone!